Since I work with technology, I thought I would list a few bits of technology that I am thankful for. In no particular order, I am thankful for:
- The autosave feature on Google Docs.
- The battery life of all of my devices. Even though none are 100% anymore, they are still better than 10 years ago.
- The rock-solid nature of my school’s wireless internet access.
- Reminders from Siri and Google Assistant.
- Spotify and all of the music I can ever want to listen to.
- The record player I used in my classroom to remind students that not all old technology is bad.
- Google Maps. Seriously. I have a good sense of direction, but I would get lost…a lot.
- ClassDojo- not as a teacher, but as a parent. I LOVE getting picture updates from my son’s teacher and seeing his excitement for learning every day.
- Schoology- having an LMS in 2018 is essential. Love this one.
- Audible and the massive amount of audiobooks I can listed to.
- A good podcast.
- The ability to use my phone as a guitar tuner, attendance taker, parent messenger, student Remind-er, and grading device. Could not do this at the start of my career.
- The alarms I set that tell me to go home.
As I sit in my classroom and listen to the activity in the hallways, I am reminded of how thankful I am to be an educator. I have had the honor and privilege of working for my school district for the last 15 years and I cannot think of what else I could have been doing instead. I am thankful that I get to work with amazing colleagues who foster a love of learning with their students. I am thankful to be in a school district that appreciates the work of instructional coaches (my current job) and sees the value of music (my old job) and the role that the arts play for our students and community. I am thankful for challenges, changes, and frustrations. I am thankful for a career that has not always been easy, but has been fulfilling. I am thankful for a wife who is my best friend, my rock and my biggest cheerleader. I am thankful for 2 amazing kids whom I learn so much from and I love more than anything. I am thankful for a family who has always supported and loved me.
I am thankful.